Where to Download Custom ContentThe majority of custom content for The Sims 4 can be found in these places:
1. ModtheSims is usually my go-to site for mods and some custom content. You do need to register an account to download items, but registration is free and painless. The site has downloads organized into categories and also houses downloads for the other Sims games. ModtheSims also has an active forum community, although The Sims 4 participants can be a bit on the salty side.
2. The Sims Resource has existed for years and is a popular place to download custom content. I have never used it myself; its reputation during The Sims 3 era was not stellar, mainly due to claims of virus-infected files. Today, the site has a better reputation, but many people do report problems with actually getting their downloads to work. The site is heavily covered in ads, and it can cause problems on some browsers. There is a membership feature you can pay for, but my understanding is that it doesn't reduce the number of ads you see. If there's something you really want on TSR, go for it, but don't be too surprised if you have trouble getting a file.
3. Tumblr has quickly emerged as the best place to find a huge variety of custom content. The only problem is that it can be difficult and time consuming to find the stuff that suits your tastes. There are a few tips you can use to find content for The Sims 4 on Tumblrs (commonly known as "Simblrs"):
1. Create your own Tumblr to make following other tumblrs easier. Once you've started a tumblr, look at other popular simblrs to find more people to follow. Many simblrs will reblog other people's custom content, making it easy to discover new content creators. If you follow a bunch of custom content creatores, you just have to log into your Tumblr to see what's new.
2. Use the Tumblr search to find posts tagged with common custom content tags:
- ts4mm (this is for custom content made in the Maxis match style)
4. Sims4Studio is an essential program for making custom content for The Sims 4. You can join the forums to download the tool for yourself and to see the latest custom content created by the users. Check out the "Creator Studios" subform to find custom content.